Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Serve A Risen Savior...

This year, we were blessed to spend Easter weekend with my family in Kentucky. It was a quick weekend, but full of visiting our favorite restaurants, spending precious time with old friends, traditions old and new, rare family time, and worshiping our Risen Savior in the church I grew up in.



This was Parker's first Easter and such a special moment to share with him. I found that this year, Easter had an even greater meaning. I grew up in church. I trusted in Jesus as my savior at a young age and never looked back. I know the story of the crucifixion and resurrection like the back of my hand. I have been told since I was very small how God sent his only son to die for me so that I could be wiped clean of all my sins and spend eternity with Him - something I didn't deserve. However, this year, the intensity of that gift meant so much more. I knew in my head, how difficult that must have been and what a large gift it was. However, starring at my son, holding my son in my arms, I finally  understood -truly grasped - just how much of a gift it was. I can't imagine sending Parker to die for anyone, much less a world full of strangers. It was in that moment, that I developed an even greater appreciation and love for what Christ, and God, really did for us. For me. It's a gift I can't even begin to understand or comprehend, but one that I am more thankful for than ever before. After my mom died, I remember being reminded and thankful for the gift that Christ provided us with for the shear fact that it meant I would see her again. However, having Parker and thinking about what it truly would mean to send him to die for something others did, brought about an even deeper appreciation for the gift of salvation. It's almost indescribable. Humbling.


It was also a joy to be home, not just with my blood family, but with my church family. There is nothing like a crowded church worshiping, not singing songs, but truly worshiping, the Lord. It takes on a different meaning and love when it's a place of comfort and familiarity. It's something that we have struggled to find since moving to Florida. We have found churches we enjoy, but none feel like home yet. It was nice to be back in a place that knew our history and held so many wonderful memories, especially those of our mom. It may be a different church building than the one we grew up in, but the feelings are there, as are the memories. Every time we are back home, one of the hardest things we do is go back to church, but at the same time it's the most comforting. It reminds us of our mom. Makes us feel close to her, sad that she can't be with us, but joyous that we will see her again.


We were also able to spend time with old friends. One in particular who I haven't been able to spend quality time with in a long time. It made me appreciate those life-long friends even more. The ones who have been with you for most of your life, accept you for who you are, and stand by you. Again, just another reminding moment of the amazing people God has blessed me with.

We ended the trip with a wonderful family lunch. For the first time in a long time, a family lunch that everyone could be at. It was a nice way to conclude the trip. Parker got to experience his first Easter Egg hunt - though he really didn't do a lot of hunting. We were able to see my grandmother, who is doing much better after her hip surgery and who, naturally, is in love with Parker, her only great-grandchild.



It's always nice to take some time to relax and be around loved ones, but more than that, be reminded of just how blessed we truly are.

3 comments:

  1. Becca, I'm so glad you had such a good Easter with your family and church! I know you miss you mom so greatly, I can only imagine how difficult that must be. It's a good feeling to go home to the people who know and love you, just as she's truly "home" with Jesus and others who love her!
    Your little boy is SOOOOO cuuute!!! Keep the pictures coming. I see you in him so much.
    I pray you have a blessed week. :)
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops! It's actually Leslie here!

    ReplyDelete