Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In The Florida Keys...


At the end of March we had the opportunity to take a girls trip to the Florida Keys. The original intention was not for it to be a girls (plus Parker) trip, but unfortunately, Ryan  had a necessary test come up that prevented him from going with us at the last minute. It was Rachel's spring break and I already had the days off from my job, so we decided to go anyway and it was definitely worth it. It was a much-needed break and weekend of relaxing.

Rachel and I had been to the Keys once before on a family vacation and it was just as beautiful and laid-back as we remembered. I grew up taking family vacations. My best memories are ones that revolve around trips. My parents were never concerned with what we had, but rather, spent our time (and money) on trips. It's one of the things that I am most thankful for, especially with my mom not here anymore. There are few places I can go that don't contain some sort of memory from a family vacation. It helps to always provide subtle reminders, not only our family, but God's comfort in memories. Because of that, I can't wait to share family vacations with Parker. It's always hard on us to find time to go places as a family with both sets of relatives living out of town. However, it's important to me that we establish some sort of family vacation routine, just us, because those are the times I remember, and enjoyed, the most. Those are the times I felt really bonded to my family.

After finally feeling settled into my new job and feeling as though I finally had some hold on the way things worked, the trip to the Keys was a much needed break. With my job, it's hard to separate family and work since they both take place under the same roof. However, I was able to turn off the computer, put the cell phone on silent, and really enjoy some quiet time. I have never seen anywhere in the United States that displays such beautiful, crystal-clear waters.
It was a perfect reminder of how diverse the landscape of our contry is, but more than that, what a creative and unique Creator we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment