Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A New Start For Our New Family

Another week has passed in the life of little Parker and just like the others, they were full of new and exciting things. Since we had to be at Epcot this weekend to get a friend of my Dad's in, we decided we would stay for a short while and let him have his first true Disney experience. We were very limited on what we could do, as well as how long we could stay, because we were hitting record high temperatures. Since Florida summers are always hot and the effect of that heat on his little body makes us a bit nervous, we decided the best investment we could make was a stroller fan.
While the fan doesn't make it much cooler, it's better than nothing. Plus, it keeps him entertained.
We were able to grab a quick lunch at The Land pavillion, as well as take him on his first Disney ride - The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends. He was so alert throughout the entire ride and couldn't take his eyes off all the colors and creatures. He didn't show much excitement in terms of smiles, but we know that is only a short time away. We made sure to get his picture in front of a Disney landmark to document his first trip. I choose to believe that his expression in the picture below is not him showing his dislike of Epcot, but rather being stripped from his comfortable stroller and brought into the intense heat and sunlight.


While he may seem a bit unpleasant here, this picture is very special and he will have many more taken just like it. The fountain at Epcot was my mom's absolute favorite thing in the park. She would often get up before any of us were even thinking of waking and head to the park to sit by the fountain and have her morning coffee. If she were here, I know she would be sharing this with Parker, just as she did with us, so because of that, he will be photographed in the very spot as he continues to grow. 

In front of the Living Seas and the Nemo ride
Parker and Mommy looking at the fish at The Living Seas aquarium

Parker and Daddy in The Land pavillion


We also took a trip to Universal to eat at one of our favorite restaurants: Margaritaville. Thankfully, (for the ease of our dinner experience) Parker spent most of the time asleep, but he woke up just enough at the end to have a few pictures taken. Perhaps I am training him afterall.



It was an exciting weekend, but definitely a tiring one. So much so, that Parker spent most of the next day resting and in his pajamas, as did I.



In other family news, we were given a HUGE answer to prayers this week. I received word that I will be teaching English 1 with Florida Virtual School, an online school/institution in Florida, which means I will be able to stay home with Parker and still earn money for our family! This has been a prayer in our family ever since a friend of mine was given the same opportunity 2 years ago.

Since we have been married, Ryan and I have always hoped for the opportunity for me to be able to stay home with our future children. However, it never seemed like the opportunity was going to happen. When my friend made her transition to FLVS, I spent an evening at her home picking her brain about all the school had to offer, as well as the principles and mission of the organization. After learning of the student-focused heart, as well as the opportunity to be with my future little ones, I eagerly applied. Plus, this was only weeks after the passing of my Mom and the idea of being able to work from home, heal, and help my Dad and sister out back in Kentucky seemed beyond perfect. For two years we prayed and applied and prayed and applied with never so much as a bite. Ryan would get disappointed with the lack of interest, but alway seemed to have a positive attitude. It was never "if" I get virtual school when it was being discussed, but "when", which oddly enough, is a complete roll reversal of our personalities. I was also disappointed, but tried to remember that God was in control and when or if He felt it was good for me, it would happen.

The time came for Parker to make his arrival and out of our desire to keep him at home, we agreed that since Ryan worked midnights, we would do opposite schedules. He would take the day shift of child care and I would take the afternoon and evenings. Many told us there was no way this would work, but we were determined to do what we felt was best for our family, which was keeping Parker at home. We knew this was what God was placing on our hearts, and no matter how difficult it would be, He would provide if we trusted Him. While the idea of FLVS still lingered in the back of my mind, especially as I spent more and more hours with Parker, I began to prepare myself for a new school year and the idea of leaving Parker. Obviously, this was difficult for me, but I knew that if FLVS was still not happening, it meant that God wanted me at my school and had plans for me there. Amazingly, two and a half weeks after Parker was born, I received an email to set up a preliminary phone interview with FLVS. Ryan was thrilled; he knew I had the job already. I was excited, but trying to be realistic. I didn't want to let myself get too excited about the idea of finally getting the job I had tried to get for 2 years. In short, after 2 phone interviews and a face-to-face meeting, they offered me the job of English 1.

I can't even begin to share with you our happiness at this news or just how incredibly blessed we feel. I could spend days trying to find the exact words that perfectly express the joy and amazement we feel over this opportunity, but it would still never be quite right. It's not only an example of God answering prayers, but an example of His ever perfect timing, His care for us, and His provision. All of those prayers before were not a "no", just a "not right now". He knew that I still had things to learn and people to encounter before I was truly ready for this opportunity. Every day Ryan and I mention, even for a short time, how thankful and blessed we feel and how it truly was a God moment - one that He deserves all the credit and praise for. I look forward to this new beginning He is giving us and seeing how He is going to use this for our family, but more importantly for His good.

No comments:

Post a Comment